Speaking comes with immense privilege, and I want to use that privilege to help the tech community be as inclusive as possible. So with that in mind, this is my speaker rider. I understand smaller meetups and community events may not be able to meet all requirements. However, this rider does apply to all commercial conferences.
If I say no to your event (even if you do all of the below), please don't take it personally! I may be burned out, or need to spend more time focusing on my actual job (Boring, I know).
- I ask that travel to and from the event is provided (assuming it is not local, I'm currently based in the Bay Area).
- Business Class is preferred, especially for longer flights. And I must be able to bring at least a carry-on. I shouldn't have to say that, but I've had bad experiences in the past.
- I am a member of a bunch of airlines and hotel rewards things. If organizers of an event are booking on my behalf, I ask that you use one of those if possible!
- I do ask too that if I'm booking my own travel/lodging, that I be reimbursed quickly.
- Local transportation to the venue (unless lodging is within walking distance)
- U.S. conferences: For full length of conference, minus workshops/auxiliary events (unless I am partaking in those)
- International conferences (outside of U.S.): One (1) full day of lodging before the conference + length of conference/workshops (if I'm participating) + evening that I speak.
- Same as above, if I'm booking my own lodging!
- Since my landlord doesn't accept "exposure" for rent, I can't accept it as compensation.
- For non-profit events, I may choose to waive this based on ticket pricing, scholarship programs, etc.
- I won't list numbers here. We can discuss it after I learn more about the event.
- I feel like this should go without saying, but I need a ticket to the full conference.
📝 Code of Conduct (CoC)
- Long story short, you gotta have one of these. And please don't make it be something like "don't be a jerk," and that's it!
- Both Write Speak Code and JSConfEU provide excellent CoCs that can serve as strong starting points.
💻 Audio / Visual
- I will not submit presentation materials ahead of time.
- I will use my own machine and provide my own output cables and clicker.
- I will not convert into any other format. Period.
- Presentation will be in Apple Keynote, using a 16:9 ratio (unless told otherwise).
- Presentations frequently use audio. Please provide ability to connect laptop to the sound system.
- More than 1 non-man of color (so I'm not the only one!)
- No all-white panels
- Also, I will not speak solely about my experiences as a minority in tech.
- Wireless microphone option (handheld or microphone)
- Confidence monitor viewable from stage
- Timer viewable from stage
- I retain intellectual property and ownership of my content
- I will allow video recordings/live streams so long as they are accessible (captioned) and free (no paywalls!) with written permission prior.
- No censorship of my content, written, verbal, visual.
- No branding of my content (I will not use branded slide templates, etc.).
- I guarantee that everything I do is rated "PG13" with no
swearing orinappropriate/explicit remarks. (I try not to swear, but shit happens.)
Still with me? Cool, let's get in touch.
You can email at email@example.com. If your email goes unanswered, please don't hesitate to re-email (my apologies).
For best results, please include the following details if you can:
- Confirmation you have read this rider with questions/any criteria you are unable to meet
- Conference name, website, date of events, location
- Budget for speaker honorarium
- Tentative/confirmed speaker list
- What you are interested in having me speak about